Advantages of High Pressure Processing (HPP)
To meet the demands of the 21st century consumer (convenience foods, higher sensorial and nutritional quality, additive free/natural, functional products, etc.), food companies need to innovate by using the latest non-thermal technologies, and the premiere technology to achieve this is High Pressure Processing.
Thermal methods, traditionally used in the food industry for food preservation, carry disadvantages like vitamin destruction or flavor changes that can be avoided with HPP.
High Pressure Processing Technology (HPP) Main Advantages
- Characteristics of the fresh product are retained, sensorial and nutritional properties remain almost intact: Greater food quality.
- Destroys pathogens (Listeria, Salmonella, Vibrio, Norovirus, etc.): Food safety and exportation.
- Extends product shelf life: Lower returns, improved customer satisfaction.
- Reduces drastically the overall microbiological spoiling flora: Higher quality along shelf life.
- New innovative food propositions. Products that can not be thermally treated can now be High Pressure Processed: Innovation and competitive advantages
- Able to shuck molluscs or extract crustacean meat without boiling: Higher yields, fresh flavour, minimum hand labour…
- Only needs water (which is recycled) and electricity: Environmentally friendly.